Suppose somebody said, “Here’s $1,500 and a list of shotguns — and you can only buy from the list,” I know what I’d do:
Buy two of these:
…rather than just one of these:
…and I suspect that 80% of my Readers would do exactly the same. (The other 20% would buy one of the 590A1s and a boatload of ammo with the change.)
A note to all the manufacturers of tacti-cool firearms: there’s a price point for most people when it comes to any gun, and just calling it “tactical” doesn’t warrant a 70% jump in price for very little added utility.
We may be Ignorant Clingers from Flyover Country, but that just means we’re familiar with the smell of bullshit.
I’m not a huge fan of shotguns for the above purpose — I belong to the AK-47 School Of Home Defense — but the one I would consider is the Mossberg 500 or 590 Mariner for under $600, because it’s weatherproof and pretty much unbreakable.