NASCAR fans or non-Formula 1 devotees can skip this post.
Consider the final standings for the 2023 F1 season:
If that looks like a runaway train for both Max Verstappen and Red Bull, then it was. Verstappen won 19 out of the 21 races of the season, and Red Bull’s Perez won one.
Which has led to an interesting game among fans, thinking about leveling the field, so to speak, for the 2024 season. Here are the favorites:
- Level the driver playing field and find another Perez-level driver for Red Bull to replace Max.
- Force Max to wear an eye patch and strap one arm to his leg.
- Force Red Bull to use Trabant engines. (“Then they’d only come 3rd.”)
- …and Reliant Robin 3-wheel technology. (“Okay, 4th.”)
- Fire Max and sign Daniel Ricciardo. Or Logan Sargeant.
- …and so on.
Let’s see; only 90 days till the new season begins.
In the meantime, there are the college football championships and the Super Bowl… which I care about as much as most of you care about F1.