In light of recent events (Amazon’s GoDaddy whacking ar15.com, Shitter delisting Trump and so on — you all know what I’m talking about), I did a couple of things yesterday to try to disentangle myself from these assholes as much as possible.
- When I re-register this website, it will be with GoDaddy’s competitor. I discussed it at some length with Tech Support II, and it will be done.
- I’ve never used Shitter or Faecesbook, so that’s okay. I’m probably not going to go with Gab or Parler, because I’m not interested in having an online “social presence” other than through this website, which I can control.
- If Hosting Matters shuts me down because of doubleplusungood thought- and speech crimes, Tech Support has a backup plan so that won’t affect me either, other than as a mild irritation while the handover is completed.
- Ditto WordPress.
- I canceled my Amazon Prime account. This will be a little inconvenient in that I won’t have access to their movies and such, but I’ll survive with Hulu and Roku, albeit with commercial irritation. Netflix is also under review for similar reasons.
- Most of the stuff I order from Amazon can be purchased locally or through the various companies’ own websites, so I’ll be doing that too. On the very few occasions where I must use Amazon, I’ll just pay the postage.
- Ditto Walmart, Target and so on. I’ve had it up to here with seeing “Made in China” on everything, so every time I find that irritant, I’m going to find a manager and tell them why I’m not buying from them today. Or I’ll only buy stuff made in other Asian countries e.g. Thailand if there’s absolutely no American-made equivalent. Or I’ll just do without.
- I already ditched Chrome; last night I ditched Mozilla and went with Brave.
- Today I’m going to ditch Thunderbird and go with ProtonMail, as soon as I’ve figured it out.
- I long ago stopped using the Google search engine, swapping it for DuckDuck Go, so that’s done. DDG isn’t quite as good, but it’s sufficient for my needs.
- Now I need to find something equivalent to Google Maps so I can ditch those assholes too. Any advice on this will be welcome.
I’m quite aware that this is like pissing in the wind, that I’m only one guy etc. Longtime Readers, however, will know the precept behind the Nation of Riflemen: turning America back into a nation of riflemen, one citizen at a time. The same applies to me, as an individual: I’m just one guy, but one of many such guys.
If my one action helps other people disentangle themselves from Big Tech, maybe, just maybe we can make a difference. Regardless, I’m not going to support their fucking enterprises if there is any alternative — even if as noted above, the alternatives are not as good.
And finally, I’m going to do the same every single time a corporation does stupid woke shit or some kind of totalitarian activity.
- You wanna take a knee during the National Anthem? Fine, that’s your choice, just as it will be my choice not to watch or support you.
- The University of North Texas can take their begging letters and wipe their asses with them, as I will do if they send me any.
- If any financial institution starts cutting off service to the firearms industry, their cards are going to go bye-bye out of my wallet, even if it’s a major inconvenience to me. Conversely, any financial institution that shows a proper conservative attitude towards their business will get my custom.
And just so everyone’s clear on this: any money I save from the above activities will most likely go towards the purchase of ammo and guns, and the use and practice thereof.
I am just one guy; but we have to start somewhere if we’re going to stop this nonsense. I know that many of my Readers already do or have done what I’m doing now, and that’s great. Now spread the word to all your family, friends and acquaintances, just like you did with the Nation of Riflemen, encouraging prospective gun owners and teaching them how to shoot.
The Revolution starts now.