Bill Bryson (yes, him again) suggests that everyone should be able to have ten things (people, concepts, activities, whatever) that they can hate, without apology or explanation.
Longtime Readers will know that I would have difficulty keeping the list to ten — as Insty would say, I really need a bigger blog to contain all the things that truly make my trigger finger itch — but if I can create universal categories of hatred, I might be able to give it a try. Let’s see how this goes, and in no specific order, my ten hates are:
- Anyone affiliated with the Democrat Party since 1880
- The music recording industry
- Modern architecture (brutalism, Bauhaus etc.), its creators and practitioners (Le Corbusier, Van der Rohe, Jahn, Pei etc.)
- All music composed and released since 2005 — performers, producers, composers, whatever
- Automotive design since 1990
- Google — everything about it
- Journalists, almost without exception
- Anarchism and anarchists
- Large corporations (referred to as Global MegaCorp on these pages)
Note that I have excluded mere irritants like astrology, veganism, libertarianism, cyclists, the 9mm Europellet and similar nonsense from the above list, because they are largely the result of stupidity rather than actual evil.
As for the list itself, however, I put it to you that if by some kind of magic all ten of those things were to disappear tomorrow, the world would be a far better place to live in.
Feel free to add your own hates, in Comments. Remember: no explanation or justification is necessary.