Good grief, why bother to go if clapping is going to intimidate you?
Snowflake students at Oxford University are the latest to demand that clapping should be banned because applause noise can trigger anxiety and want ‘jazz hands’ to be used instead.
The idea for a British sign language alternative for clapping involving the waving of hands was put forward at the student union’s first meeting of the year on Tuesday.
Sabbatical Officers Roisin McCallion, Vice President for Welfare and Equal Opportunity and Ebie Edwards Cole, Chair for Oxford SU Disabilities Campaign, successfully passed the motion to mandate the encouragement of silent clapping.
My suggestion is that for “clapping”, substitute “slapping”, but no doubt some fainting fairy is going to have a problem with that too. And if the noise of clapping triggers that much anxiety in them, I wonder how they’d react to gunshots.
And note the caption for a couple of the pics:
Sabbatical Officers Roisin McCallion (left), Vice President for Welfare and Equal Opportunity and Ebie Edwards Cole (right), Chair for Oxford SU Disabilities Campaign, successfully passed the motion to mandate the encouragement of silent clapping
Yep, that’s what education is all about. “Sabbatical Officer and VP Welfare and Equal Opportunity”, my aching ass.
And to think that one of my greatest dreams once was to attend Oxford.
…wherein I couldn’t be bothered to post anything more than a one-line comment.
1) Stanford pushes separate physics course for minority students — the problem won’t be finding “minority” students for these classes — I fully expect them to be dumbed down to 10th-grade level so as to pass as many as possible– but I’m more interested in where Stanford will find the minority lecturers to teach them. (Also: which minorities? Can we insist that Physics For Minorities 1.0 must include Chinese, Japanese, Indian, Persian and Jewish students instead of just the stupid minorities?)
2) Global Warming High Priest Loses Court Case — He refused to reveal his “source” data because it was all invented and he knew that it wouldn’t even stand up to scrutiny by a freshman Statistics class. Quelle surprise.
3) BritPM Politely Tells The EU To Eff Off — this after hearing that the U.S. will give them a quick, yuge and profitable trade deal. In essence, Boris said “No deal? No exit fee.” (The EU will have difficulty staying together without Britishland’s annual contribution, which is why they’re trying to stop Brexit, as any fule kno.)
4) Joe Walsh Announces Presidential Run — Hey, he warned us that he would, many years ago.
Couldn’t do much worse than any of the Socialist candidates, IMO.
5) Lefties Start Turning Towards Violence — …and Kim buys more ammo and goes to the range. (Incidentally, when I took the Browning High Wall .45-70 Govt to the indoor range a couple days back, I told the nervous young clerk that the bullet wouldn’t go through the back wall, but it might push it over. Only the laughter from the older guys stopped him from doing something silly.)
I admit that I can’t see the appeal in ginger nebbish Ed Sheeran’s music — I mean, it’s not horrible in the way that, say, Taylor Swift’s music most certainly is, but I find it… pleasant, yet unremarkable.
My opinion, though, doesn’t matter: the little bugger has made more hit records and more money than he can burn with a flamethrower, and clearly, his music has touched a lot of people despite his looking like Third Dweeb From The Left in a Harry Potter movie, so I have to give him that.
What gives me the giggles, however, is that when he studied music at college, he failed.
It says a lot about him that he hasn’t bought out the college, fired the entire faculty and burned all the buildings to the ground. I guess that being a zillionaire is its own revenge.
Wow. How about this for a headline?
Keynote speaker at Bob Jones University diversity conference says Muslims should be ‘locked up’
Just kidding. Here’s the actual headline:
Keynote speaker at Harvard diversity conference says Christians should be ‘locked up’
Read the rest, if you feel like it. Then load up yer favorite gun and a couple hundred rounds of ammo, and head out to the range. That’s what I’m going to do, later.
Only in the Diversity Hell that is modern academia can such a thing occur:
“Refusing Institutional Whiteness: Possibilities, Alternatives, and Beyond”
…with the kicker:
“Whiteness continues to be a crucial problem in our English department.”
Also English, but that’s no doubt the topic of next month’s seminar.
To put this into perspective, let’s just imagine a statement: “Blackness continues to be a crucial problem in our Blues Studies department.”
Or we don’t imagine anything, but instead just make the necessary preparations.
Pretty much sums it all up (via Insty).