I need to buy a vacuum cleaner but never having bought one before, I have no idea what type, model or brand to get, so all recommendations (based on experience only, please) would be welcome.
As for parameters:
- Cost: if your recommendation is expensive, I can deal with that as long as the thing is reliable. Spending extra money on something that lasts for ten years is not expensive, it’s a bargain. On the other hand, if they’re all fragile regardless of cost, then I’ll just go cheap and replace every year, if that’s your recommendation.
- Capabilities: Must be able to vacuum both wooden- and carpeted floors.
- Dust storage: Can be bags or washable cylinders, I don’t care (unless this is an important distinction, in which case please explain).
- Weight: irrelevant as there are no stairs involved.
- Additional features: if, say, a steam-cleaning capability is included, it cannot detract from the primary function, i.e. vacuum cleaning. Ditto a detachable hose cleaner; I’ve heard that while the flexibility is nice, the suction leaves a lot to be desired.
If y’all don’t know or have little expertise (like me), then ask yer wives and such.
Otherwise, I’ll just go with my gut instincts and get a broom, mop and a Shop-Vac.